Development Associate | La Porte, TX
Development Associate Job Description
The Development Associate is responsible for all administrative aspects of development and communication activities. This position reports to the Director of Museum Operations and is a new position. The Development Associate plays an important role by providing administrative support to the Executive Director and the Director of Museum Operations and participating in all fundraising activities including donor relations, marketing and communications, direct mail appeals, and special events. Some weekend and evening hours are required.
The San Jacinto Museum of History is housed in the base of the San Jacinto Monument. The Museum is operated by the San Jacinto Museum of History Association — a non-profit organization — in association with the Texas Historical Commission.
More than just a gateway to a great view, the Museum is your gateway to Texas culture! It was established not only to honor those who fought here in 1836, but also to re-visualize the history of Texas and the Spanish Southwest. It was created as a steward of history, and to promote friendship between Texas, Mexico, Spain, France and Latin America. To learn more, visit our website at https://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/.
- Fund Development
o Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
o Process memberships and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
o Create monthly fundraising reports.
o Send appropriate documentation to process credits to donors.
o Manage relationships on the database and communicate accordingly with various stakeholders (Board of Directors, Executive Director, and the Director of Museum Operations) for updates.
o Maintain foundation, corporation and individual donor files (on the database and server).
o Maintain membership files (on the database and server).
o Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation and individual donors.
o Reconcile donations with the Finance Department monthly
o Handle all administrative details associated with museum meetings (i.e. prepare and distribute notices, agendas, minutes, refreshments etc.).
o Coordinate productions and mailing of memberships and year-end appeal letters.
- Events and Volunteers
o Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fundraising events.
o Plan and oversee the annual Fun Run event including procuring all sponsorships.
o Collect and track volunteer hours
o Organize annual volunteer event in collaboration with the Director of Museum Operations
o Prospect and procure raffle donations for the Fun Run event.
o Prepare media materials for distribution. (i.e. copying, filing, mailing, e-mailing)
o Assemble media and donor kits for events and meetings.
- Membership Responsibilities
o Assist with implementation of all aspects of the Museum’s Membership program including on-site sales, retention program, new acquisitions, benefits fulfillment, and upgrade appeals.
o Encourage community collaborations to increase membership.
o Help draft and edit copy for membership appeals, member programming, and other membership related outreach materials.
o Maintain membership data through the Museum’s database
o Process all new memberships.
- Other duties as assigned by theDirector of Museum Operations.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- A minimum of twoyears' experience in an administrative position, preferably in a not-for-profit development office
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite, Database management experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Ability to manage several projects at once, meet deadlines, and work independently or collaboratively as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A self-starter, data and deadline driven, and ability to multi-task with solid organizational and time-management skills
- Comfortable working with the public, Board Members, Museum members, and donors on the phone and/or in person.
- Knowledge or appreciationof Texas history is a plus
- Ability to work well as a teamand maintain a positive attitude
SALARY & BENEFITS OFFERED
The salary range for this position is between $40,000-$50,000 dependent on experience. The SJMH offers a competitive benefits package that includes, Health Insurance, Retirement Savings Plan, and Workers’ Compensation Coverage.
Job Type: Full-time
- Monday to Friday
- Some Weekends
Applicants should send their resume and a thoughtful cover letter outlining their fit for the role as a single PDF document to email@example.com. Please use “Development Associate – Your Name” as the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls please.
San Jacinto Museum of History is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.