Assistant Director and Education Manager | San Antonio, TX
Holocaust Memorial Museum of San Antonio (HMMSA)
Assistant Director and Education Manager
(Full-time, Salary - up to $50,000 annually)
DEPARTMENT: Holocaust Memorial Museum of San Antonio (HMMSA)
This a manager level position, reporting directly to the Director of the HMMSA. This position is responsible for the educational curriculum and components related to the mission of the HMMSA and coordination of school tours and educational outreach programs. The HMMSA Assistant Director/Education Manager must have an understanding of and appreciation for the mission of the HMMSA, and be an advocate for Holocaust education. The Assistant Director/Education Manager serves as primary staff for both the Education and Docent committees. In addition, the Assistant Director/Education Manager will work closely with other HMMSA and Jewish Federation staff in the execution of their duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as director and oversees museum operations in the absence of HMMSA Director.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of educational curriculums and programming, as well as educator and student resources related to the HMMSA mission.
- Oversees and trains museum docents and volunteers to ensure the overall quality and accuracy of the docent-led tours and activity sessions. Leads tours and activity sessions when volunteers are not available.
- Develops and leads teacher workshops, overseeing the development of resources for these workshops.
- Builds and enhances partnerships with community education stakeholders as well as local, state, and national organizations (i.e. Texas Holocaust and Genocide Commission, US Holocaust Memorial Museum, etc.).
- Oversees and maintains the Museum’s collections, storage spaces, and exhibits, in accordance with the museum’s Collections Management Policy. Including:
- maintaining the museum’s PastPerfect database
- cataloging, condition reporting, labeling, and documentation of collections
- coordinating the activities of the Collections Committee
- performing regular inventories of collections objects
- creating effective storage housings and performing preventive conservation
- processing accessions, deaccessions, incoming and outgoing loans
- ensuring the museum maintains adequate insurance coverage for collections
- Develops and leads a community book club program; overseeing the development of resources for this program.
- Creates and distributes bi-monthly docent e-newsletter.
- Develops content and assists in the design and creation of media packages of new temporary, online, and travelling exhibits; coordinating with contractors for the design and production of these exhibits.
- Staffs and guides the activities of the HMMSA Docent and Education committees.
- Supervises student interns in educational projects.
- Attend HMMSA Commission meetings, quarterly.
- Serves as staff for special HMMSA and Jewish Federation events as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education with relevant professional experience; minimum two years in education and/or museum field or related experience.
- Experience working as part of a team of professionals in a nonprofit museum or other educational institution.
- Experience developing and delivering educational experiences/programs for a variety of age groups.
- Positive, can-do attitude, mature interpersonal style and an out-going demeanor.
- Demonstrated initiative, problem solving skills, creativity, analytic skills and follow through.
- Superior capability in oral and written communications, good listening skills and strong presentation/public speaking capabilities.
- Experience developing lesson plans/teaching units including learning objectives and measurement tools.
- Capable of managing competing priorities and pressures.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Pedagogical knowledge for creating effective teaching and learning environments for all students.
- Advanced degree in related field. i.e., History, Human Rights, Genocide Studies, Jewish
- 3-5 years’ experience working directly for or with a non-profit organization, museum, or other educational institutions.
The Education Manager reports directly to the HMMSA Director.
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com