Collection Conservator | Marfa, TX
Judd Foundation’s mission is to maintain and preserve Donald Judd’s permanently installed living
and working spaces, libraries, and archives in Marfa, Texas and New York. The Foundation
promotes a wider understanding of Judd’s artistic legacy by providing access to these spaces and
resources and by developing scholarly and educational programs. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3)
In Marfa, the Foundation maintains a campus of buildings and ranch houses permanently installed
by Donald Judd. The collection is comprised of a wide range of organic and inorganic materials,
including objects, paintings, works on paper, furniture, books, photographs, textiles, and
The Foundation is accepting applications for the position of Collection Conservator, located in
Marfa, Texas. This is a full-time, salaried position with a regular schedule of 40 hours per week,
Monday – Friday, with availability to work occasional holiday days, evenings and weekends.
Reporting to Director of Operations and Preservation, Marfa, the post’s primary responsibility is the
preservation of the permanently installed and stored collection in Marfa by performing a schedule of
preventive conservation, including day-to-day maintenance and cleaning of art and artifacts;
treatments; object handling, condition reporting, and documentation.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
• Perform a weekly schedule of surface cleaning of art and artifacts on display using
appropriate conservation materials and techniques.
• Advise Collection and Facilities staff in the maintenance and cleaning of the spaces.
• Assist the Registrar and Director of Archives with special projects related to the display,
storage, and preservation of Foundation collections.
• Respond to incident reports related to collection items in installed spaces.
• Identify and communicate preservation and conservation requirements.
• Liaise and coordinate with specialist consulting conservators and develop preventive
conservation programs for the range of collection materials, including metal and wood
objects, textiles, painting, works on paper and ceramics, books, etc.
• Manage conservation supplies, chemicals, and equipment.
• Document baseline condition of collection items in written and photographic reports.
• BA/BS in related field. MA/MS Conservation strongly preferred.
• 2-3 years of experience in conservation, working in a cultural heritage institution or
• Experience of working in non-traditional collection spaces and with a wide range of
• Knowledge and understanding of conservation best practices and standards for collections
• Experience and knowledge of safe art handling and practices.
• Knowledge of conservation documentation, safety rules, operating and maintenance
instructions (safety data sheets and procedure manuals).
• Ability to work independently in the collection spaces and collaboratively in project-based
• Detail-oriented, patient, excellent technical hand skills are a must.
• Good communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Experience with Filemaker databases, Microsoft Office suite, digital photography, and
• The work of this position will predominantly be located in the Foundation’s un-conditioned
installed spaces and will require standing, walking, and working in many positions.
• Ability to work in high temperatures from 80-105 degrees F
• Ability to work in low temperatures 40-65 degrees F
• Ability to tolerate insect pests and other wildlife
• Ability to lift 25 lbs
• Ability to carry materials onsite to perform preventive conservation work
• Ability to carry and climb a ladder
• Ability to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as respirators, dust
masks, gloves, and Tyvek suits as required.
Employment / Salary:
• Judd Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity or expression,
sexual orientation, religion, national origin, disability status, familial status, or any other
category protected under applicable federal, state or local law. We strongly encourage
individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
• This position is full-time, 40 hours per week with competitive benefits. Salary range is
$42,000 - $59,000.
Procedure for Application:
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Judd Foundation Human Resources at
email@example.com with “Collection Conservator” as the subject line by October 8th, 2021. No
phone calls, please. Due to the number of submissions, only applicants selected for an interview
will be contacted.