Collections Manager | Marfa, TX
Collections Manager, Judd Foundation
Judd Foundation was created in 1996 with the mission to preserve and maintain Donald Judd’s permanently installed living and working spaces, libraries, and archives in Marfa, Texas and New York. The Foundation promotes a wider understanding of Judd’s artistic legacy by providing access to these spaces and resources and by developing scholarly and educational programs. The Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization.
The Collections Manager serves as the head of the Collections Department and is responsible for Judd Foundation’s collections in Marfa, TX and New York, NY. The position reports to the Director of Operations and Preservation, supervises the four-person collections team, including the Collections Coordinator, and will work in close coordination with the operations, research, and archives staff in Marfa and New York. This is a full-time, exempt position, with the requirement to work flexibly as projects require. The position is located in the Marfa office of the Foundation.
The Collections Manager is responsible for the care and preservation of the Foundation’s broad collection including objects, paintings, prints, furniture, drawings, design, ethnographic and domestic objects. The collection is primarily held in Donald Judd’s permanently installed working and living spaces in Marfa, TX. Additional collection locations include 101 Spring Street, New York, on and off-site storage.
The Collections Manager will manage the collection activities of the Foundation including:
Collection Planning and Policy
· The development and implementation of collection management policies and procedures.
· The Foundation’s compliance with guidelines for collection stewardship including legal requirements of gifts, accessions, deaccessions, and laws, such as the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act.
· Maintaining and revising the Emergency Response plan in conjunction with the Operations Directors.
Cataloging and Inventory
· Supervise the documentation of the collection in association with collections staff, ensuring the Foundation’s data management systems are maintained and updated.
· Continue the cataloging of the collection and reconciliation of historic inventory records.
· Implement a schedule of inventory controls.
· Manage the Foundation’s database consultants in the refinement of the database architecture.
· Manage collections staff in Marfa and New York and work with Foundation and consulting conservators to maintain the schedule of preventive conservation for the permanently installed spaces in accordance with the principles of the Foundation, defined by Judd, and best practices to minimize collection deterioration and loss.
· Manage Foundation and consulting conservators to prioritize and implement conservation initiatives for the collection.
· Supervise the environmental controls and integrated pest management controls of Foundation spaces, in the context of the specific climates of Marfa and New York.
· Coordinate with the operations team to maintain appropriate housekeeping and security protocols to protect the collection.
· In support of Judd exhibitions by third-party institutions and galleries, supervise the processing of outgoing loans and consignments, including loan forms, logistics, condition reporting, conservation and the associated documentation required by lenders and the law.
· The Foundation typically mounts two temporary exhibitions annually at 101 Spring Street, New York. The Collections Manager will supervise incoming loans and exhibition planning with New York collections staff.
· Manage art storage locations, on and off-site; develop and implement storage, object handling and housing policies and procedures.
· Support the Foundation’s research of Judd works and collection items.
· Work with the executive team and the Development and Communications departments to provide collections information for grants, and Foundation collateral and content projects.
· Provide collection reports to the Collections Committee and the Board of Directors.
· Manage the Collections Department budget and schedule of financial reporting.
· BA in Art/Museum studies, Art History or a related field.
· Competitive candidates will have at least 5-7 years relevant work experience, in collections management, or related collections care and registration positions.
· Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of collections management and registration.
· Experience in managing teams successfully.
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
· Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat Pro and databases (Filemaker Pro).
· Prolonged sitting at a desk.
· Ability to climb steps, use ladders and lift weights up to 35 pounds while using appropriate lifting techniques and following safety rules.
Salary and Hiring This position is full-time, 40 hours per week, in Marfa, Texas with competitive benefits including full individual healthcare. Relocation expenses available. The annual salary range for the position is $80,000 - $90,000, commensurate with experience.
Judd Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, disability status, familial status, or any other category protected under applicable federal, state or local law. We strongly encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Procedure for Application
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Judd Foundation Human Resources at email@example.com with “Collections Manager” as the subject line. No phone calls, please. Due to the number of submissions, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.