Communications Manager | Austin, TX
Address: 2310 San Gabriel St, Austin, TX, 78705
Start Date: Flexible, Early-Late September, 2021
Application Due Date: August 31, 2021
Hours: 10:00-4:30PM Wednesday-Sunday, with some evening availability
Compensation: $30,000 annually, with benefits
The Neill-Cochran House Museum seeks a museum professional with strong communication skills to serve as Communications Manager. Strong candidates will have solid administrative and writing skills, and an entrepreneurial spirit to help the Museum reach its next level of excellence. This job requires flexibility in work schedule. The Museum is open to the public Wednesday-Sunday 11AM-4PM. The Communications Manager will be the front-line visitor service staff member and will need to be on site during all open hours. The position also involves frequent evening events.
· Update Museum website and social media
· Grow social media presence across Instagram and Facebook
· Prepare and send emails to Museum community including newsletters, event notifications, and email reminders
· Notify and build relationships with local media people, including preparing and sending out media advisories
· Communicate with donors and members
· Serve as first point of contact for Museum Visitors
· Provide guided tours as arranged in advance
· Assist with special events as required
· Bachelor’s degree in Humanities
· Strong written communication skills
· Experience with marketing
· Experience communicating with local media
· Experience with social media platforms, including Facebook and Instagram
· Experience with Constant Contact
· Willingness regularly to work evenings and weekends
· Master’s Degree in Museum Studies, History, or Historic Preservation
· Experience with membership management/CRM platform
· K-12 education programming experience
· 2+ years museum experience
· Graphic design experience
To apply, please submit cover letter, CV, writing sample, and 3 references (at least 2 must be for professional experience) to email@example.com.
About the Neill-Cochran House Museum: The Neill-Cochran House Museum is home to two of the oldest structures standing in Austin – the main house and slave quarters - and just a short walk to the west of the UT campus. The site presents installations related to the history of Austin from its earliest days up to 1930 as well as temporary exhibits that relate to its interpretive period (1850-1930). We are an independent non-profit with a strong entrepreneurial culture.
Candidates are encouraged to pursue meaningful and impactful projects to strengthen their portfolios.
The Neill-Cochran House Museum is an equal opportunity employer.