Curator of Exhibits and Collections | Bryan, TX
Date postedMarch 25, 2022
Posted By: Classified Job Listing,
Curator of Exhibits and Collections
The Brazos Valley Museum of Natural History in Bryan seeks a full-time Curator of Exhibits and Collections. As a key team member, the Curator is responsible for the research, writing, design, and installation of temporary and long-term exhibits on a wide range of topics in the natural sciences or humanities. As such, candidates should possess experience in research and writing for a diverse audience, as well as proven organizational abilities and a strong creative streak.
Working with the part-time Collections Assistant, the Curator is also responsible for managing the museum’s diverse collections, from fossils and natural history specimens to historical items representing the Brazos Valley.
Problem-solving skills, knowledge of collections-management principles, and experience with databases (especially Microsoft Access and Proficio Elements) are essential.
The Curator also facilitates scholarly research on the museum’s collections, assists with museum events and fundraisers, and responds to queries from the public.
• Masters or PhD degree in any branch of the natural sciences or humanities
• Excellent written communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Proven track record of independent project management
• Knowledge and understanding of curatorial principles, methods, procedures, and techniques
• Able to work independently or as part of a team
• Able to lift 40 pounds and climb ladders
• PhD in the natural sciences or humanities, especially archeology
• 2+ years’ experience in a museum setting
• Experience in planning and installing museum exhibits
• Supervisory experience
• Experience with managing and using collections databases
Compensation: position is $45k plus medical and dental.