Director of Programs and Exhibitions | Houston, TX
Position Title: Director of Programs and Exhibitions
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Department: Education and Exhibitions
Salary: 50K-65K, plus optional benefits package
Opening Date: August 16, 2021 Closing Date: September 16, 2021
The Director of Programs and Exhibitions is responsible for providing creative and
strategic leadership to oversee all aspects of the education and exhibition program at
the BSNM and extending the museum’s reach beyond its doors- into the local
community & to the widest audience possible- through development, presentation,
outreach, and administration of the museum’s varied education programs. This position
will increase public familiarity with the museum’s identity, mission, and services,
manage on-going administration tasks, and develop and execute meaningful missionbased programs.
- Leads the Education Department in the development, implementation, and
evaluation of dynamic museum education programs for diverse audiences, which
fit within and promote the organization’s mission and vision.
- Hires train and supervise museum education staff including docents and interns.
- Oversees program content and ensures its educational and curricular
connections to the museum’s collection and exhibitions.
- Continuously develops knowledge about African American Military History.
- Develops and oversees departmental budgets and monitors expenses.
- Serves as a member of the senior management Team to achieve institutional
goals and objectives.
- Leads the Exhibition department on the development of exhibition interactive
displays, gallery handouts, exhibition-related educators’ guides, and volunteer
- Works closely with a variety of vendors and companies during the process of
production of exhibitions.
- Oversees staff responsible for arranging crating, shipping, insurance, contracts,
travel policies and artwork loan agreements.
- Organize and schedule exhibitions for all gallery spaces.
- Works with the marketing department on program publicity, the development of
all printed and online education materials, including brochures, guides,
worksheets, and flyers.
- Works with the Visitor Services Manager on the training, supervision and
retention of Education volunteers and docents.
- Oversees the development and reporting evaluation methods
- Plays key role in development and fundraising for educational programs,
exhibitions, including drafting narrative and program budgets for grant proposals.
Works closely with the Development department.
- Provides funders of education programs with reports and feedback as required.
- Community outreach: build membership and connections to local audiences,
teachers, colleges and other local constituents.
- Invite the community into the museum as stakeholders, including them in
decision making and programming.
- Build and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with other cultural and
community organizations, as well as the local education community.
- Expands the reach of the BSNM by cultivating strategic partnerships with the
educational, nonprofit community.
- Collaborates on programming that relates to BSNM’s mission, vision, goals and
- Attend local Educators meetings and conferences and develop and maintain
connections to other museum educators in Houston and surrounding areas.
- Speaks at conferences and teacher workshops about educational opportunities,
resources and exhibitions.
- Develops and implements program evaluation tools to measure and interpret
outcomes, program goals and objectives.
- Attends staff meetings and other internal and external meetings as assigned.
- Bachelors in Museum Studies, Education, History or related field, Masters
- Nonprofit and/or Museum experience is a plus
- Minimum five years’ experience managing, designing, and implementing
educational programs and exhibitions (preferably in a museum setting)
- Proven experience in supervisory, budget and project management
- Knowledge of contemporary educational methods and philosophies, especially
for informal learning environments
- Strong management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong planning, organizational and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to see the larger organizational picture
- Strong knowledge and/or interest in African American military history
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task and remain flexible to accommodate community and museum
- Proficient in basic technology applications (i.e. MS Word, Excel) Google Apps
knowledge is beneficial (i.e. Google Drive, Google Docs, Gmail)
- Exhibit excellent verbal, visual, written, and interpersonal communication skills in
- Represent the museum in a positive light
- Committed to the mission and values of the museum
How to Apply
Email resume with 3 references to email@example.com using the job
title as your subject. Attachments must use your first initial and last name (e.g., JDOE
RESUME & COVER LETTER). The Buffalo Soldiers National Museum is an EOE