Museum Gift Shop Retail Associate | Fredericksburg, TX
Museum Gift Shop Retail Associate
Gillespie County Historical Society, 501(c)3 non-profit (dba The Pioneer Museum)
Fredericksburg, Texas, USA
To teach current and future generations the history, culture and traditions of Fredericksburg and Gillespie County for the advancement of knowledge and preservation of our proud heritage.
Museum Gift Shop Retail Associate
Part-Time / Hourly 15-20 hours per week
Retail Associate reports to the Director of Operations of GCHS. The Retail Associate, Museum Docents, and Director of Operations closely work together managing the gift shop experience for museum visitors at two locations and merchandise management. The position requires easy collaboration with all GCHS’ staff team members.
About the Gillespie County Historical Society and Pioneer Museum:
The Society’s activities center around two primary museum sites it manages and operates, the Pioneer Museum and the Vereins Kirche. The Pioneer Museum is a 3+ acre complex of historic buildings, artifacts, and archives, interpreting the story of the 1840’s German colonization of the Texas Hill Country and the immigrant German founders of Fredericksburg. The Vereins Kirche is a replica of an 1847 structure, completely reinterpreted in 2020 to tell the story of the building’s history and significance. Both sites are in the heart of this popular tourist destination town. Annual visitation to the Pioneer Museum and Vereins Kirche is routinely 36,000-plus. The Gillespie County Historical Society was chartered in 1935. It currently has a $755,000 annual operating budget, a fifteen-member Board of Directors, three full-time and twelve part-time employees. Having completed all prerequisites, the museum is being considered for accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums in September/October 2022.
Roles and Responsibilities:
· Knowledge and understanding of retail Point of Sale systems. Shopify POS is currently used by GCHS. Provides support to GCHS staff for POS training
· Inventory Management to include, ordering, receiving, tagging and stocking. Scope of merchandise includes historic book section, children’s books & gifts, souvenirs, home goods and general gift Items
· Vendor relationship, meet with sales representatives to review product lines and place orders
· Merchandise sales reporting to Director of Operations and Executive Director
· Oversea the Museum Gift Shop Display Space including merchandise staging and seasonal displays.
· Assist in the Visitor experience by supporting the Docent Team at the Welcome Center by providing admission and retail sales on a limited basis
· Support non-retail activities using POS, membership and program
· Support non-retail Fundraising endeavors using POS and collaborate on special event merchandise
· Other reasonable duties as assigned
Ideally the Candidate Should Possess:
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to engage people of a wide range of ages and experiences
· High energy and passion for the museum’s mission
· Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
· Knowledge of Microsoft Suite, basic to advanced Excel skills
· Flexible and adaptable to team’s needs
· The ability to lift 35lbs
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
· High School Degree; higher continued education beneficial
· Three years’ experience in retail or service industry
· Public relations and communication skills
· Willingness to learn and implement new systems
· Proficiency in technology applications
This is a part-time, hourly position based on a 15 to 20 hour week. Starting pay $18 per hour. Requires some occasional weekend hours. The work schedule is flexible.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 work-related references. Additional materials beneficial to your application, can also be included. Please send all by email to Dr. David B. Shields: email@example.com
Phone: (830) 990-8441 pioneermuseum.org
325 West Main Street, Fredericksburg, Texas 78624