Public Programs Coordinator | Austin, TX
Humanities Texas advances history, culture, and education. As the state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, we conduct and support public programs in history, literature, philosophy, and the other humanities disciplines. These programs strengthen Texas communities by cultivating the knowledge and judgment that representative democracy demands of its citizens.
PUBLIC PROGRAMS COORDINATOR
Humanities Texas public programs offer Texans opportunities for learning and reflection, stimulate civic awareness, and ensure that the state’s cultural and intellectual resources are accessible to a broad audience. This includes reading and discussion programs for veterans, public lectures and film screening, a radio program, a monthly e-newsletter, and the annual holiday book fair.
The public programs coordinator will report to the Humanities Texas assistant director of public programs and will work closely with the director of programs and communication as well as other staff. The public programs coordinator should be highly organized, efficient, and detail-oriented. They should be able to work independently as well as part of a team; relate comfortably to a broad spectrum of people; and communicate with program partners, participants, and venues.
This full-time position features an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, life, and disability insurance and a 403b retirement plan.
- Coordinate logistics for a variety of public programs, both in-person and virtual.
- Facilitate promotion of all public programs to a state-wide audience.
- Update Humanities Texas website with program-related information.
- Support the assistant director of public programs with editorial tasks essential to publication of the monthly Humanities Texas e-newsletter.
- Handle purchasing and maintain inventories of program-related supplies.
- Collect final reports from program partners and compile program-related statistics.
- Prepare reports for compliance and for meetings of the Humanities Texas board.
The position will require some general administrative responsibilities; occasional weekend work; in-state travel; and, at peak periods, support of other Humanities Texas programs.
- BA/BS degree, preferably in the humanities.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize responsibilities, maintain deadlines, and produce high-quality work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong research and editing skills.
- Ability to work collegially with fellow staff and to establish service-oriented, helpful relationships with Humanities Texas partners and constituents.
- Proficiency with word processing, email, spreadsheet, and database software.
- Interest in and enthusiasm for the humanities, particularly public humanities programming.
- Some Spanish language fluency.
- Experience with coordinating and/or facilitating public programs.
- Familiarity with cultural and educational organizations in Texas.
- Experience with Filemaker Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and online content management systems.
Annual salary of $40-45K commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email resume, cover letter, and names of three professional references (all in PDF format) to email@example.com and specify “public programs coordinator” in the email subject line. Preliminary review of applications will begin immediately.
Humanities Texas is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to establish and maintain diversity among its staff and is, thereby, inclusive in its employment practices. Humanities Texas is following local and CDC guidelines regarding COVID practices. While we offer some remote work flexibility, we will expect candidates to have access to, and a presence in, our Austin office.
Posted 9/21/22; open until filled.