Visitor Services & Museum Shop Attendant / Clerk | Richmond, TX
Fort Bend History Association
Position Title: Visitor Services & Museum Shop Attendant / Clerk
Facility: Fort Bend Museum
Hourly: Full-time – 36-40 hours per week, Tuesday through Saturday; with benefits / 8:30-5pm
Supervisor: Museum Site Manager, Fort Bend Museum
Pay Rate: $12 per hour
Position Description: The Visitor Services & Museum Shop Attendant plays a vital role in enhancing the Museum experience. They represent the Museum by making a positive impression throughout the many points of contact with guests: admissions, gift shop, phone and other key areas that need friendly assistance. They provide guests information about the facilities, exhibitions and programs, sell admission tickets and memberships, and are responsible for the daily upkeep of the Museum gift shop under the supervision of the Museum Site Manager.
Minimum Job Requirements:
o High school diploma or equivalency
o One to three years front-line customer service experience that exhibited patience with customers and an ability to listen and understand
o Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, people oriented with a focus on inclusivity
o Highly motivated self-starter with ability to work in a team environment and with minimum supervision
o Computer software skills: Microsoft Office systems plus email, Point of Sale register system
o Professional, respectful and dynamic demeanor in person and on the telephone
o Skilled with handling of money and cash management principles/procedures
o Detail oriented with good organizational skills, able to multitask and adapt to a variety of situations
o Able to lift or move up to 40 pounds
o Able to stand/walk for long periods of time, climb stairs and ladders, reach, bend, lift, and set up/take down displays and fixtures
o Creative, curious and an interest in history – all welcome!
Overall Objective: Work under the Museum Site Manager to provide excellent customer service as the first point of contact for visitors in the museum and gift shop and be responsible for the daily upkeep of the facility.
1) Visitor Services
· Provide superior customer service, including but not limited to greeting and directing customers, handling general visitor questions and complaints, relaying accurate information about planned programs and events
· Practice current safety protocols and monitor guest compliance with Museum safety/visitor protocols while facilitating entry for visitors
2) Gift Shop
· Complete all POS transactions in a professional and friendly manner (admission tickets, memberships, gift shop purchases, monetary donations, etc.)
· Reconcile POS register at the end of the shift (counting monies and entering data)
· Maintain all Shop areas in a neat and organized manner, and adhere to all cleaning protocols set in place for the museum per CDC guidelines (cleaning, organizing, straightening items on shelves, etc.)
· Re-stock products as needed and communicate product needs to Site Manager. Price and stock newly arrived merchandise
· Act as a resource for the Shop by keeping up-to-date on product knowledge, including current and new items to be able to answer customer questions
· Stay informed of shop procedures (inventory schedule) and guidelines for sales, discounts, and actively promote membership sales and membership renewals
3) Other Duties
· Following established protocols, assist in open/close of building and areas within the Museum Campus as scheduled; carry out light housekeeping and cleaning duties as outlined for each area throughout the day
· Update Museum website on a weekly basis
· Schedule volunteers and docents to help at front desk, exhibit gallery, house tours and school programs. Schedule community service when necessary.
· Attend museum staff meetings (staff huddles and all staff in-services)
· Must be able to work a flexible schedule to include weekends, holidays and special events
· Participate in annual events such as the Lone Star Stomp, Texian Market Days, Candlelight Tours and other fundraising or programming events.
· Other duties as assigned or required by supervisor.
Resumes can be sent to: