Curator | Houston, TX
The Museum Curator oversees the acquisition, documentation, cataloging preservation, interpretation, exhibition and display of all historical artifacts and archival materials for the Lone Star Flight Museum. This position requires a highly-organized professional who is an effective communicator that can interact with employees and volunteers at all levels and functions of the organization as well as LSFM members, the general public, vendors and stakeholders.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Administer the registration, cataloging, and accounting for the museum's historical properties collection, including artifacts, archival materials, library and exhibits.
- Develop and maintain collection management plans and policies for the acquisition, display, and management of historical property, artifacts and archival material in cooperation with Board Collection Committee and collections staff.
- Direct and monitor procedures for maintenance, preservation and proper storage of historical property, artifacts and archival material.
- Conduct research to identify and authenticate provenance of artifacts and archival material.
- Administer loans and leases, (both incoming and outgoing) of artifacts and archival materials with other museums, collections, government agencies and individuals.
- Perform maintenance and refurbishment of existing exhibits.
- Support other museum departments’ programs and events with appropriate artifacts, archival materials and information.
- Oversee the research, development and creation of exhibits; including permanent, temporary and traveling exhibits, in collaboration with other museum departments.
- Develop related programs, including lectures, symposia, workshops and other events to support exhibits in consort with other museum departments.
- Oversee administration of the Texas Aviation Hall of Fame, including registration of nominations, interaction with Board, CEO and Honorary Selection Committee for the selection of nominees, communication with nominees and their families, creation of video and graphic materials for induction and installation of inductees.
- Coordinate with restoration efforts to ensure proper preservation and restoration of artifacts to meet the museum’s plans and goals.
- Serve as a resource and liaison to the local community, other institutions and the general public with regards to the museum collection.
Strategic Plan and Budget
- Develop and execute an annual strategic plan.
- Prepare and manage an annual operating budget.
- Work as part of Senior Management Team to activate on short and long-term strategic issues.
- Coordinate curatorial activities with Marketing to ensure timely and effective marketing opportunities.
- Coordinate with Development for underwriting opportunities
- Coordinate with the operations and education staff to optimize exhibit and STEM focus areas
- Ensures all curatorial events are known and tracked on the master events calendar for coordination and support purposes.
- Provides input for routine newsletters and other digital marketing efforts.
Employee and Volunteer Oversight
- Directly supervises the Director of Collections position on a full-time basis and supervises collections volunteers.
- Conduct annual evaluations of all subordinate employees.
- Perform other duties as directed by the CEO
- A Bachelor’s degree in Museum Studies, History (Aviation, Spaceflight or Military), Technology, Transportation or a related field is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
- Five (5) years of progressive museum curatorial or collections management experience.
- Any combination of experience and education, with a proven track record of success in the museum field will be considered in lieu of meeting exact qualifications.
Museum staff is collectively responsible for contributing to a collaborative, cooperative, mission and revenue driven business operation. Everyone will be engaged, respectful, pro-active and help the organization grow and prosper.
Attendance at meetings/functions outside of traditional working hours will be necessary at times.
Status: Full-time/exempt/salaried (Range $55 - $65K per anum)
Reports to: CEO
Interested parties may send resumes and/or questions to email@example.com