Head of Research Library | Fort Worth, TX
Please apply to:
The Head of the Research Library provides leadership for one of the nation's major American art research libraries. In concert with the Museums strategic plan, the principal librarian oversees services and leads our renowned research library to support collection research, exhibitions, and programs at the Museum and provides support to the larger scholarly community.
- Oversee and maintain the direction for the Museums research acquisitions, identify and acquire books and resources according to the library collection development policy, and guide the development of the library's digital resources while maintaining the library's commitment to print media.
- Evaluate and advance the existing library collection development policies and procedures to ensure best practices in advancing collection holdings designed to serve Museum research needs as reflected in the Museum's collections and acquisitions policies.
- Serve as the main public interaction point for library research queries from staff, advanced scholars, and the public; serve at the reference desk and conduct library orientation sessions and training as necessary; ensure that courteous, responsive, and thorough research assistance is provided to patrons.
- Develop programming, services, and tools that effectively deliver research resources to students and scholars; work closely with the Museum archives team to coordinate these functions with archival and special collections.
- Build awareness of the library's collections and services within the Museum, to the scholarly community, to the public, and to college and university audiences.
- Develop and deploy library goals in harmony with the Museums strategic plan.
- Develop and manage the library's budget.
- Supervise the library's resource sharing/interlibrary loan program.
- Participate in professional organizations and actively share with colleagues as part of a continuing commitment to ensure library programs reflect and promote best professional practice.
- Proactively work to integrate library collections and services into the Museum's exhibitions and education and community programs, and foster communication and collaboration with other Museum departments.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with prospective and established donors to provide support for library programs; participate in fundraising for the library; work closely with development staff to identify and secure grant funding for special projects.
- Oversee cataloging policies and procedures and actively contribute to cataloging.
- Advise on digitization projects at the museum, assisting in planning, implementing, and supporting those projects.
- Manage library study spaces to ensure a high-quality environment that inspires and facilitates scholarship and research activities, champion the library as an intellectual hub.
- Promote assessment efforts to help identify improvements in library operations; prepare the library's annual report and other administrative reports as requested.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the Museum on cross-departmental teams and in meetings.
- Hire, train, and evaluate library staff, including managing volunteers; foster a creative, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment.
- Proactively explore, assess, and adopt new technologies for the management and distribution of art research information; identify opportunities for library engagement with both digital and traditional art scholarship.
- Administer the preservation and storage of library collections; ensure that the highest standards are maintained in the storage, security, and use of the collection.
- Work cooperatively with other library members of the Cultural District Library Consortium (CDLC) and serve as liaison to CDLCs technical partner, Texas Christian University.
- Maintain confidentiality of Museum information; other duties as assigned.
Supervision is provided over the Technical Services Librarian and departmental volunteers and interns
Skills and Requirements
- Demonstrated proficiency and understand of information technology systems and platforms applicable to research collections, including traditional integrated library systems
- Demonstrated administrative, organizational, supervisory, and project management experience, including experience managing budgets
- High level competencies employing print and digital resources in art history and the humanities
- Deep knowledge of scholarly communication techniques, technologies, and methodologies
- Demonstrated communication skills and ability to effectively speak to groups
- Knowledge of American rare and illustrated book bibliography and book acquisition marketplace
- Strong knowledge of standard practices for preserving library material
- Extensive ability to use standard office software, especially spreadsheet and database software
- Experience with microform equipment
- Possess a strong service-oriented approach to assisting library patrons
- Ability to work harmoniously and productively with the public and museum staff
- Possess a collaborative and collegial orientation; ability to maintain positive and fruitful relations with staff, colleagues, and scholars
- Ability to think strategically and present a clear vision for the direction of the Library
- Self-directed and motivated
- Keen ability to multitask
- Ability to excite and inspire interest in research and learning
- Master of Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Advanced degree in American art history preferred.
- Familiarity with Ex Libris ALEPH OPAC preferred.
- Familiarity with photography and experience with photobook collecting preferred.
- Minimum five eight years administering an art research facility or equivalent experience which includes staff and budget oversight.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with best practices related to library technology and digital projects.
- User-centered service and reference philosophy, and a demonstrated ability to foster community collaboration.
Other Job Requirements
- Satisfactory completion of post-offer MVR, drug and background screens.