Collections Assistant | Dallas, TX
Collections Assistant – Full Time
The Perot Museum of Nature and Science is seeking a Collections Assistant to support the current Collections and Research teams. The Museum recently opened a new collections and research facility as part of its mission to preserve the specimens and artifacts in its care and better align with modern collections management procedures and standards. The Collections Assistant will operate mostly in the new facility, but may be called on to help with objects in the Museum’s public exhibits building and other locations. This position reports to the Collections Manager.
Duties & Essential Functions
- Assist with processing natural history collections by cataloging, organizing, and documenting specimens, as well as maintain collection inventories.
- Assist in setup, assembly, and maintenance of storage areas for collections according to curatorial standards.
- Prepare various reports regarding collection activities and condition of specimens as requested.
- Assist in the maintenance of museum collection database Proficio through data entry and editing.
- Prepare specimens for storage and shipping; unpack specimens upon arrival.
- Photograph specimens for documentation.
- Supervise, train, and work with collections volunteers.
- Install, arrange, assemble, and prepare specimens for exhibition, while ensuring the specimens’ safety, report their status and condition, and identify and correct problems.
- Interact with public, volunteers, co-workers, and researchers in a professional manner that reflects well on the Museum and its mission.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Museum Studies or related field;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in museum collections management activities.
- Familiarity with documentation practices and procedures pertaining to museum specimens.
- Understanding of proper handling and storage of museum specimens, as well as the steps necessary to prepare specimens for exhibits.
- Familiarity with all aspects of preventive care for collections
- Knowledge of proper collections security procedures in a museum setting.
- Skill with verbal and written communication, and the ability to follow instructions.
- Basic understanding of organismal classification systems, both historical and modern.
- Experience with a relational database, experience with Re: Discovery Proficio a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Must be optimally protected from COVID-19 by being vaccinated and up to date with a booster dose.
- The ideal candidate will have a Master’s degree in Museum Studies with a museum background in life and/or earth sciences, and will possess previous collections experience, preferably with scientific collections.
- Teamwork – Consistently work effectively, efficiently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Goal Achievement and Accountability – Ability to consistently focus and executive on communicated priority activities that lead to meeting and exceeding goals, takes responsibility for results – both good and bad.
- Problem Solving – Helps to identify creative solutions for improving team dynamics when asked to do so by Manager, receives feedback and adjusts behaviors with enthusiasm, displays effective problem-solving skills in one-on-one interactions and group situations.
- Flexibility – Adapts to change and collaborates to successfully navigate change.
- Integrity and Respect – Makes and keeps commitments with sincerity, treats others with dignity and common courtesy.
- Innovation and Creativity – Display chronic curiosity in order to appropriately share novel ideas.
- Trust – Can be trusted to deliver results that are at or above standards and to work in a collaborative manner with team members that is transparent and leads to positive results.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Interacts directly with others
- Use hands to touch, handle, or feel
- Reach with hands and arms; talk and hear
- Climb ladders and use step stools
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must occasionally:
- Lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus
To apply, use the following link - https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=33052&clientkey=91E1BDB80B66FBEC795359D3736E84F6