Curator of Education | Amarillo, TX
Amarillo Museum of Art Curator of Education
The Amarillo Museum of Art (AMoA) seeks to hire a Curator of Education to plan and implement the Museum’s education programs and outreach initiatives. This is a full time position with benefits. The AMoA is an accredited museum through the American Alliance of Museums and is dedicated to its mission to enrich the lives of the diverse people of the Texas Panhandle area, bringing them together for the experience of art through exhibitions, education, and collections.
The Curator of Education provides leadership, guidance and oversight of the AMoA’s many education initiatives for people of all ages and ensures delivery of engaging mission-based experiences, digital offerings, and other educational programs at the museum, in the community and beyond. This senior staff member will lead, implement, and evaluate a wide range of K-12 and adult educational programs, lectures and events that amplify the museum’s exhibitions and collections to engage new diverse audiences through stimulating and accessible programming.
- Supervise the AMoA’s Museum School which provides after school art classes, Saturday workshops, and summer art camps for children ages 4-15
- Working with AMoA’s Curator of Art, develop interactive exhibitions for the ArtSpace gallery with corresponding art activities that further engage visitors with works of art from AMoA’s Permanent Collection
- Oversee AMoA’s ArtSmart Senior Programming
- Develop curriculum for Docent training and conduct tours of the Museum’s exhibitions and collections to diverse audiences using VTS methodologies
- Develop programs for museum events that enrich the lives of our visitors through meaningful education and personal connections with work of art
- Facilitate TEKS integrated outreach programming to the 26 counties of the Texas Panhandle
- Oversee curriculum development for the AMoA’s new Museum in Residence program with a focus on social emotional learning and arts integration
- Promote the museum through community speaking engagements and seek opportunities to collaborate with other cultural and community organizations
- Provide information and support for grant applications and advancement initiatives
- Actively work to increase diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion at the AMoA and throughout public programming
- Assist with receptions and fundraisers; perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
AMoA’s Curator of Education must have a strong commitment to innovative educational programming and community learning as well as possess a passion for the visual arts and art education. They must be an effective manager and team player who can work successfully in a collaborative environment. A Bachelor’s degree in art education, museum education, art history, fine arts, museum studies, studio art or related field is required. Experience working in a museum environment developing and planning programs and managing individuals as well as knowledge of current practices in museum education, exhibition interpretation and visitor engagement is preferred.
AMoA offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, life, retirement savings, and more. Salary range for this position is $40,000 to $45,000 depending on experience.
Procedure of Application:
Please send resume, cover letter and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Amarillo Museum of Art is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.