Research Historian | Arlington, TX
Roles & Responsibilities
As the Research Historian for the National Medal of Honor Museum you will be a part of a growing team of researchers, military historians, editors, and curators, who are working to build a museum to preserve the stories and legacies of the 3,515 recipients of the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum Foundation broke ground in March of 2022 and the museum is slated to open in November of 2024.
1. Research support
The primary responsibility of the Research Historian is the support of original research conducted by the Museum Content Team. This includes filling in gaps in the existing data set and creating new fields of information. The direction of research will be dictated by the Research Manager and Chief Historian. While the Research Manager will have immediate oversight over the database, the Research Historian may occasionally assist with the input of data.
2. Support the museum exhibit development and design process
Working with the Chief Historian, Curator, and Research Manager, the Research Historian will assist with the development of museum exhibits and interactive experiences. The Research Historian will assist the Research Manager in conducting historical research for the museum exhibits and writing text for museum exhibit panels.
3. Support the authoring of National Medal of Honor Museum publications
The Research Historian will assist the Research Manager in the creation of Medal of Honor related publications including web articles, newsletters, magazine articles and other related material.
4. Maintaining the digital asset manager
As the museum’s digital assets grow, the museum will need to acquire a digital asset manager in the near future. The Research Manager will oversee the acquisition and implementation of the DAM and the Research Historian will be responsible for maintaining it.
5. Create compelling and historically accurate social media posts
As a story-telling organization, one of the easiest and fastest ways to spread the stories of the recipients of the Medal of Honor is through our social media channels. It is extremely important that these posts are accurate and reflect the highest quality of historical research. The research historian will be the primary producer of daily historical social media posts that highlight recipients of the Medal of Honor.
1. Degree in History, Public History, Museum Studies, or related field. Masters preferred. Experience with military history is a plus
2. Possess experience (2 or more years) working in a museum or public history role
3. Experience with historical research
4. Strong writing and storytelling skills
5. Ability to balance multiple projects and prioritize responsibilities
6. Meticulous attention to detail
7. Must have a passion for the subject and a deep appreciation for the Medal of Honor
Salary/Pay Range: $55,00-$65,000.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at a time