Curator of Collections | Mesquite, TX
Position: Curator of Collections
Location: Mesquite, TX
Job Type: Part Time
Salaried/Hourly: Hourly, $18-$20/hour
Reports to: Executive Director
Updated: October 15, 2021
To Apply: Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Curator of Collections is responsible for all the artifacts maintained by Historic Mesquite, Inc., including acquisition, inventory and PastPerfect database management, collections maintenance and care, storage organization and management; while working within the dictates of HMI’s Collections Management Policy. Conducts research and organizes collections-based exhibits and programs. As well, they may be needed to collaborate with other staff members and the Board to plan and execute various events and, at times, assist with general operations of Opal Lawrence Historical Park and Florence Ranch Homestead.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for maintaining accession records, including the accession/deaccession ledgers, furnishings reports and the inventory of collections using PastPerfect museum software.
• Responsible for collections care, including preventative maintenance, determining need for professional restoration, cleaning, proper object handling, monitoring the condition and environment of objects in storage and on exhibit, rotating sensitive objects off exhibit as needed, cleaning and stabilizing objects, preparing objects for storage and exhibition, and packing and labeling objects.
• Conduct bi-annual inventories through the historic buildings, utilizing the assistance of Historic Homes Coordinators.
• Recruit and train curatorial and cataloging volunteers. Prepares written instructional materials for staff or volunteers.
• Train and supervise Coordinators, volunteers, and Properties and Acquisition Committee on proper handling and cleaning procedures as outlined in the HMI Housekeeping Manual.
• Facilitate Properties and Acquisition Committee discussions on acquisitions and deaccessions. May require in-depth research by the Curator of Collections.
• Oversee the care, preservation, documentation, interpretation, security, and reproduction of collections and related archival materials.
• Create and maintain safe, secure, and orderly systems for housing, storing, tracking, and locating collections according to best museum practices and available resources.
• Serve as point person with donors, coordinating and processing all aspects of donated acquisitions in a timely manner.
• Maintain a working knowledge of and familiarity with the scope of the collection.
• Monitor environmental conditions for exhibited and/or stored materials.
• Assist with developing a disaster preparedness plan in relation to collections.
• Conduct object-specific and general research related to the collections, interpret and communicate information in various formats to a broad range of constituents.
• Prepare collection objects for exhibition at Opal Lawrence Historical Park, Florence Ranch Homestead, or other locations.
• Write and edit descriptive copy for exhibit storylines, components and artifact displays.
• Develop an annual collections budget in consultation with the Executive Director.
• Work as a team member to plan, execute and evaluate educational programming and outreach efforts related to the collections.
• Serve as a Museum ambassador for collections before professional museum organizations, funding agencies, businesses, service clubs, government agencies, and the general public.
• Participate in social media management, print ad and flyer designing, brochures and other desktop publishing.
• Assist other staff on projects as needed.
Schedule: 20 hours per week, this position occasionally requires longer hours and / or weekend work. Flexible schedule available.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Education: Minimum of a B.A. degree, M.A. preferred, in Museum Studies, Public or Applied History, Material Culture, Art, or related field.
Experience: One to three years of demonstrable experience with collections management, curatorial responsibilities, and museum exhibition experience preferred.
Licenses and Certificates: Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Competencies: Experience with collections management software, preferably PastPerfect; Solid working knowledge of the preservation, restoration, exhibition, packing, of objects; Ability to manage interns and/or volunteers; Excellent verbal and written communication skills; Computer skills including document preparation and file management.
NOTE: This job description is not designed to cover or contain all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Working at desk and utilizing a computer for prolonged periods of time
• Standing for prolonged periods, walking, bending, climbing, reaching, and strenuous lifting/moving objects up to 40 pounds
• Able to handle small tools
• Good eye/hand coordination