DeBakey Cell Lab Manager | Houston, TX
Job Title: DeBakey Cell Lab Manager
Reports to: Senior Director Guest Engagement
Job Status: Full time, includes weekend hours and occasional after-hours events
Salary Pay Range: $46-50K/year (Full Time)
The DeBakey Cell Lab is a bilingual (English/Spanish), hands-on wet biology lab. In this free-choice learning environment guests get the chance to don a lab coat, gloves, and goggles, and perform science experiments using real lab equipment. Computer-guided workstations, known as activity benches, lead our guests step-by-step through a variety of experiments exploring topics in cellular, molecular, and microbiology. The Lab accommodates both general admission guests and scheduled group visits. The Lab is the center piece of our on-site guest experience.
Position Summary: The DeBakey Cell Lab Manager is the lead educator for the lab experience and is responsible for the proper functioning, maintenance and safety of the Lab. The Lab Manager works with staff and volunteers to ensure the proper use and maintenance of various laboratory equipment and procurement of supplies, and is responsible for training, overseeing, and scheduling these individuals to assist visitors with hands-on experiments and assist with lab upkeep. The Lab Manager will have the opportunity to develop education initiatives by strengthening partnerships with Texas Medical Center research efforts, expanding lab programming and resources for schools, and expanding internship/mentorship opportunities for students/researchers. Strong interpersonal skills, enthusiasm for informal education experiences, ability to manage interactions with large and small groups (children and/or adults), and a strong interest in research/science education are key qualities for this position.
- Coordinate the Lab’s daily operations including, but not limited to, preparation of solutions and materials, maintenance of bacterial cultures, overseeing clean-up procedures, restocking of workstation supplies, and reporting Lab maintenance needs.
- Interact with museum guests in the Lab, helping facilitate experiments, demonstrations, and information in an engaging, timely and professional manner.
- Train staff and volunteers in proper Lab procedure and content delivery.
- Schedule staff and volunteers.
- Coordinate availability and reservations with Reservation Coordinator and Guest Services Associates.
- Work with the Senior Director of Guest Engagement to expand Lab’s impact in the community.
- Attend staff meetings as assigned.
- Represent the Museum at relevant meetings, events, and various outreach programs.
Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in science, health, or education.
- Demonstrated interest and some background in microbiology preferred.
- Teaching or performing experience preferred.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- Computer literate.
- Experience working in teams and with children.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ability to work with diverse audiences.
- Positive attitude and interaction style.
- Interest in current science and health developments.
- Flexible work schedule.
- High level of customer service, enthusiasm and initiative.
- Attention to detail and organization
- Must be consistent, punctual and able to work with minimal supervision
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply: Please send cover letter, resume/CV, and 2 letters of reference to Becky Seabrook, Senior Director of Guest Engagement, at email@example.com.
1515 Hermann Drive, Houston, Texas 77004-7126 Main 713-521-1515 Fax 713-526-1434 www.thehealthmuseum.org