Director of Education and Public Programs | Abilene, TX
Director of Education and Public Programs
DESCRIPTION: The Director of Education & Public Programs reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for implementing the Center’s community outreach programs (ArtReach), monthly artwalk, and on and off-site instructional programs. This is an exempt position.
QUALIFICATIONS: A degree in Education and/or Art or related field and/or proven experience in arts education or public programs or closely related field.
The Director of Education and Public Programs must be organized, self-motivated, team-oriented, and have experience building community relationships. This position has the potential to grow exponentially if implemented efficiently. A qualified candidate will have a growth mindset and excel at relationship building and maintenance.
Salary Range: $32,000 - 35,000 DOE with competitive benefits
This full-time position is responsible for:
- Working with the Education Committee to develop short-term and long-term program objectives
- Implementing the Center’s education programs
- Developing or approving the content of educational curricula
- Recruiting and training new instructors
- Training current teachers to use curriculum developed by the Educator
- Scheduling and supervising classes for schools, agencies, and the Center
- Assisting with receptions at the end of each class session as needed
- Maintaining regular communication with the agencies served
- Purchasing supplies for classes and maintaining the art supply inventory
- Developing, scheduling, and producing all Center workshops
- Conducting school tours of exhibits and developing pre/post-tour educational activities for exhibits
- Working closely with the Executive Director to maintain appropriate records of: contracts, agencies/schools served, the number of individuals served, program evaluations, letters of support, and request for services
- Working with the Executive Director on the budgeting process and in maintaining the approved ArtReach budget
- Promoting the ArtReach program through community speaking engagements
- Providing required marketing and P.R. information as well as some program marketing implementation as needed (including content creation, development, and distribution) This can include graphic design, video production, event photography, etc.
- Supervising, training and scheduling education assistants (volunteers, instructors and interns) in the education department
ArtWalk (monthly downtown arts festival):
- Working with the Board Committee to develop short-term and long-term program objectives
- Establish themes a year in advance
- Secure City of Abilene and Abilene Police Department street closure permits
- Coordinating ArtWalk entertainment and activities
- Search for and secure performers
- Oversee rehearsals
- Create/buy props for events
- Create timelines
- Serving as a liaison between the Center and ArtWalk Vendors
- Working with the Executive Director on the budgeting process and in maintaining the approved ArtWalk budget
- Promoting the ArtWalk program on television, radio, through community speaking engagements and print media (press releases).
- Assisting the Executive Director with researching and cultivation of ArtWalk sponsors
ArtCamps and CALF (Children’s Art & Literacy Festival):
- Recruit qualified instructors and volunteers and provide orientation
- Design Camp content
- Develop marketing materials
- Create invoices for Instructors
- Design and create CALF reading theater
- Serve as the Center representative for CALF and attend all meetings
Dirty Drawers (weekly figure drawing class):
- Develop curriculum
- Recruit Instructor or instruct
- Attend and Monitor Classes
- Create and maintain marketing materials
- Create Invoices for Instructor and Models
Other duties and tasks as assigned which include but are not limited to helping with receptions and fundraisers. Occasional nights and weekends required.
ABOUT THE CENTER
The mission of the Center for Contemporary Arts is to encourage, empower and inspire artists, children and the community through the arts.
The Center for Contemporary Arts, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation, was founded in 1989 with the support of the Abilene Cultural Affairs Council to provide enriching and educational experiences for the region’s communities through the promotion and support of artists.
The Center serves more than 28,000 people from the greater Abilene area through our three programs: ArtReach, ArtWalk and our exhibits.
ArtReach, which includes our ArtHEALs curriculum, is our arts education and outreach initiative. Under the ArtReach umbrella, we offer art outreach to military veterans, incarcerated youth, children in after-school programs, adults with disabilities, and others.
ArtWalk is a monthly celebration of arts in Abilene’s downtown cultural district. This event attracts more than 100 businesses and organizations annually and draws 500-1,400 people downtown each month.
We offer between 20-30 exhibits each year in our four galleries. These exhibits offer local artists an opportunity to display their work, and they also attract thousands of people downtown each year.
HOW TO APPLY: Qualified and interested candidates please send resume/CV, cover letter, and references to email@example.com.