Museum Registrar | Corpus Christi, TX
Location: Corpus Christi TAMUCC
Type: Full Time
Job Requisition ID: R-053272
Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
South Texas Institute For The Arts
Proposed Minimum Salary
Corpus Christi, Texas
The Museum Registrar is responsible for the cataloging, care and preservation of all fine art objects related to the collection of the Art Museum of South Texas. This position is responsible for maintaining an accurate database and insuring proper storage for art, and compiling the legal documents relating to museum collections and loans. The registrar oversees the care and maintenance of collections in accordance with best practices established by the American Alliance of Museums while in the museum’s care, on exhibition, in storage, and on loan to and by the museum. This involves the intake of all incoming and outgoing art loans, conditioning of temporary and permanent collection exhibitions, overseeing the scheduling of transport of art shipments, insurance, loan agreements, deeds of gifts, condition care and conservation, rights and reproduction, updating facilities reports and all related documentation. Performs essential duties in emergency i.e., such as hurricanes and storms, or any emergency closing and other assigned duties as assigned by the department administrator.
- Oversee the Museum's Permanent Collection and Asset Collection by providing care and preservation, cataloging, and documenting all activity.
- Develop and maintain art care and risk management policies.
- Produce and keep records of all related paperwork such as deeds of gift, loan agreements, certificates of insurance, rights for reproduction, documentation of installations, condition reports, etc.
- Oversee the incoming and outgoing of all art shipments, schedule transportation, and secure insurance coverage.
- Maintain a current art database record, create labels for exhibition, recording the location of each work in the permanent collection in storage on loan to another institution and installed in an exhibition.
- Insure proper storage of temporary art loans and art crates/containers.
- Keep records of, conduct and communicate condition on loaned art.
- Assist with installations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in History, Art History, Museum Studies.
- Additional education/experience may be considered as a substitution for the minimum requirements.
- Two years of related experience in museum registration or collections management.
- Knowledge of American Alliance of Museums (AAM) standard museum principles, practices and collection management software.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams).
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others. Strong proofreading skills and communication skills.
- Ability to be detail oriented and work independently once given a project.
- Knowledge of Past Perfect program.
- $33,362 - $36,600 annually
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.